Skip to main content

Races and Backhoes


I ran the Little Rock half Marathon Sunday morning. It was a chilly 26 degrees at race time, but nice and sunny. We had to hurry to get this picture before the race. The cycles were getting ready to start, so the pic isn't great but I got it. Kev is such a great sport. He didn't complain at all about standing outside in frigid temperatures. Once the race started he walked back to the car. His only job was to meet me around mile 6 to take any clothes that I had shed and then again at the finish line to take pictures. I bought the professional ones from the St. Jude Half, but good god they cost a small fortune and they don't even send you a picture just the download.
Anyways. Once I started moving I started warming up. By mile one I had taken off my ear warmer and by mile 3 I had shed my jacket. My hands and wrists got a little chilly later but not enough to want my jacket. I bought some arm warmers and think they will be perfect for these kind of situations. As you can see, I crossed the finish line in my sports bra. I know, it's not the most attractive site but I don't care. I had been running for over two hours and I was HOT!! The heat was making my poison ivy itch. 
I finished in 2:22 a new PR for me!! And I've told you how I "train", so I was really proud of myself. I ran the first 3 miles in under 30 minutes and was able to keep my time under 11 minutes a mile until the last two. I kept wanting to stop and walk those last two miles. My foot was hurting and I could barely lift it up or feel it, but I really wanted to finish under 2:30 since I had already done so well.
Afterwards, we went to eat and help dad at the land. Well Kev helped dad. I tried to stay away from the fire and any thing that may have looked like poison ivy.
Now that all the trees are down you can really see the amazing views. The view of the horse pasture and it's rolling hills is just a pretty as the lake.
Dad instructing Kev on how to use the backhoe.
Dad would knock down a few trees with the backhoe, cut them up, and move them to the enormous wood pile or should I say wood piles. Sometime once we get moved in we are going to have to rent a log splitter for the weekend and split them all. 
Pile #1
Pile #2 Pile 
#3 is the one we stacked last weekend.
Now to dig out the ridge and level it out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th