Skip to main content

And So the Week Begins...

Monday afternoon I took Lilly to the vet. She's always so shaky and tries to sit in my lap. Dr. Barron loves her and tells her every year how lucky she is to have found us. She is the oldest living dog he knows of with her sphincter condition. I can't believe she will be four in November! Everything check out great and the little pig even lost five pounds since last year.
The garden is producing. I picked all of this Monday night. I'm going to have to make stuffed bell peppers. Next year I want more jalapeno and banana pepper plants so I can pickle my own. Kev goes through so many jars of them.
Tuesday I drove to Hot Springs to visit with mom and help clean out some of my grandmothers things. They are having a huge yard sale this Saturday. I also went by to visit my grandpa. He has Chemo this week and I wanted to check on him.

Wednesday I had to work until 3:30 and after that I ran to the store to get supplies for canning dill pickles. I have never done it before, but I had a friend give me 20 cucumbers last week. A few people sent me recipes they used and I looked a few up. I'm really bug into processing my jars. Some recipes say that they can sit or 30 days and be fine, but I'd rather process them and know they are fine. All the recipes I was given had vinegar, water, garlic, dill, and salt. One had hot peppers and grape leaves. The recipes I found online used a pickling seasoning that had various spices and peppercorns. I found a packet similar at Kroger and used it.

I crushed several gloves of garlic and put one in the bottom of each jar with a few sprigs of dill.
I packed the jars with cucumbers (I did spears and slices.) and topped with garlic and dill. I added a teaspoon of the pickling seasoning to each jar and them poured the hot water and vinegar mixture in.
They processed for 15 minutes. I got 10 pint jars. I did have two cucumbers that I kept for salads.
I haven't tasted them yet, but I hope they are good. Tomorrow is a busy day. I have lunch plans with teachers at school and dinner and movie plans with a friend from Pine Bluff. I love summer!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th