Skip to main content

The Weekend - Decorating, Cooking, and Yard Work

I've enjoyed Kev not working on Saturdays. We are getting lots done around the house. Of course we could work on the yard everyday and still have tons to do. We are diligently trying to get all of the trees at the bottom of the hill cut up and the limbs burned. Saturday we made two huge piles that are ready to burn. we burned one Saturday night and the other is still waiting. There are several piles of logs that need to be loaded up and taken to the log pile. The wheelbarrow is not an option. There is no way I am pushing it up the hill loaded with logs and I'm not asking Kev to do it either. We really need to purchase a four wheeler and small trailer to move wood and rocks around. As for now we will throw them as close to the road as possible and load them into the back of the truck.
I have a couple of decorating decisions to make. The top of the hutch fell off during the move. So we have just been using the bottom part as a buffet. When my aunt was up last weekend she suggested I hang the mirror above it and put the flower arrangement  in front. I do like it. We were planning to paint it red to match the couch and put a pop of red on the other side of the room.
I really like my hutch though, so I brought it in to see what it would look like. I like both, but I really like it with the top part. It would also provide more storage for bar glasses. If I use the whole thing, I think red will be too much. Especially with the reds in the wall art. I'm thinking slate gray with red on the back. It's a tough decision.
I folded four loads of laundry that I had let pile up all week. I turn around and Perla has made herself at home. So much for animal free clothes.
I tried a new recipe Sunday. Sweet potato chips. They turned out okay. I will they had been a little crispier. I sliced them thin with a mandolin and coated with olive oil, salt and pepper. They baked at 275 for about an hour. 






Some were a little burnt. I kept waiting for them to get crispy. Next time I will let them sit out longer. They finally crisped up when they cooled, however once I put them into the Ziploc bag they softened back up.
I also made a delicious sweet potato Chorizo hash for breakfast. Basically you cut up your potatoes and cook them with a little olive oil. I added a spinach kale mix I had on had along with sweet pepper and onion. The you just fry your egg to put on top. It made a lot and I was able to have it for breakfast a couple of time during the week.
We had a productive, yet relaxing weekend. Those kind are the best!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th