Skip to main content

Getting Ready for a New School Year!

Supposedly teachers have the summer off. Yeah, right. Today was my first official day of summer. Meaning I didn't have to sit in a workshop or class all day. Don't get me wrong, I have learned so much and enjoyed every class and workshop I attended. But they consumed 4 1/2 weeks of my 8 weeks off. Needless to say, I have not been getting the pool time I usually do. The other two weeks were spent working on my project and talking care of necessities  So today was the day! I had NOTHING to do! So what did I do? Worked in my classroom! Really. What is summer anyways?

I love starting a new year! I'm refreshed and ready to take on the world or at least my 24 third graders. I enjoy being able to take my time and make everything perfect. I hate feeling rushed. They can't possibly think that a teacher can set up her room, plan lessons, label student materials, and get organized in the day or two they give us in our contract. Yeah right! It took me all morning just to get everything I needed out and furniture moved into place. 

This is what my classroom looked like before I started. We have to take EVERYTHING down and move all furniture to the corner.

You can see I brought in things I have bought over the summer. I went school supply shopping yesterday! This is just the first load of junk. I love to hit up yard sales during the summer for games and books. I also got lots of math manipulatives and games at my fraction workshop. One day is going to have to be dedicated to finding a way to store the old, which already takes up all the cabinet space, with the new. EEKK!


A teacher's job truly never stops. You should see the ideas my teacher friends have pinned on Pinterest this summer! I've thought about starting a blog just to keep up with lessons and ideas throughout the year. I don't know. Maybe. I like the idea of being able to share with lots of people, but it seems like a lot of work. 

I forgot to take pictures before I left to show my progress.Oh well. I'll try to remember to in the morning when I drop some more stuff off.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th