Skip to main content

Poor Baby Squirrel

I'm not sure how it happens, but the cat always finds a way to get freaking animals in the house! A snake, a lizard, a baby mouse, a frog, various insects. I know she has something because I find her in a corner playing or the animal is dead on the floor. UGH!! This time it was a baby flying squirrel. She was playing in the corner and all of a sudden I see something scurry across the floor. Of course I jump and scream for Kev. The dogs go over to check it out. I'm yelling for all the animals to come here. Kev doesn't know what he is looking for. The cat insists on trying to climb our fake tree. Kev looks in the top and grabs out a baby squirrel. Somehow it manages to get escape his grip and runs for the bedroom. Kev stops it right before he goes under the bed. We put it outside and notice that one of his legs is hurt. We decide to keep him overnight to make sure he is strong enough for outside life. I get the cat carrier out of the attic, place it in the guest bathroom, and shut the door. 
The next morning I hear Lilly get up and groan, but didn't think anything of it. Later, I get out of bed and go check on the baby squirrel. It's not there. I start looking around the house and Perla is sitting next to it on the dining room rug. The poor thing is twitching and scared to death. 
I pick it up and put it back in the carrier. I turn the heat on in the bathroom so he will get warm. A few hours later, I checked on him and he eats some banana and grape. His front leg is badly hurt, but he still moves around some. I feed him again before bed. The next morning, he does't look so hot. He won't eat. His beathing is shallow and he is getting stiff. I take the poor thing outside and bury him where hopefully the animals won't dig him up. I tried my hardest to save his life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th