Skip to main content

Island Camping on Lake Ouachita

We spent the weekend camping at Lake Ouachita for my birthday! I absolutely love island camping. It's hard to do often unless you have easy access to a boat. My brother bought my grandmother's boat last year, so now we can borrow it anytime. I'm so ready for an SUV! We need the room. Kev's truck is a work truck and is not wextended cab. When we have the dogs with us, Lilly has to lay in the floorboard and hatfiled is in Kev's face.
We arrived at Brady Mountain about 5:00, however the battery was dead and had to wait on Spence to bring us his other one. This put us getting out there a little later than we wanted, but we managed to quickly set up camp before we lost all daylight.
The sunset on our way to the island.

 
We quickly realized the geese guarding the island and quacking at the dogs were trying to protect their eggs. This one survived. They cracked open the other one we found. The island had a nice grassy area with thtese beautiful purple flowers.
The view from our tent door.

I love camping. I'd much rather camp this way than at a campsite. It's just so peaceful and you don't have to worry about bothering anybody else or quiet times.
Kev and I napped in out hammocks Saturday afternoon. It's truly the most peaceful nap. I've had the orange hammock for a while. I found the striped one at Walmart and had to get it.

Sunset Saturday night.
The weather got a little scary Saturday night. We knew it was coming, so we took everything that wasn't essential back to the vehicles. The wind was blowing the tent in so we tied it to the tree.The weather did get bad, but luckily it missed us. We were up at 6:00 Sunday morning ready to load up and head out. A little later, a friend called from Little Rock and had been hailed on that morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th