Skip to main content

Snow Disaster

Friday afternoon, school let out an hour early for inclement weather that was supposedly coming in around 5 or 6. I went to happy hour with my BFF. Afterwards my parents called to say they were on their way up here to visit my uncle in the hospital. I decided to meet them there. One the way it started snowing very lightly. Nothing was accumulating on the roads. We visited my uncle for about and hour. Still snowing very lightly. Snow blowing around on roads, not sticking at all. They wanted to grab a bite to eat, so I called Kev to come meet us. We arrived at Chuy's about 6:30 and waited for a table about 10 minutes. Once we sat down, Kev called to say he wasn't coming. He slid down the hill at the end of our road. He said the roads were getting bad. If I would have been with anyone else besides my parents, I would have left right then, but I knew dad would take care of me. We quickly ate and got ready to leave. Boy, were we surprised when we walked out! It had snowed 2 1/2 inches in the hour we were eating! It was definitely sticking to the roads now.

Dad decided they would follow me to my house. I made it out of the parking lot and to the red light when I knew that I would not be driving myself home. I parked my car in the parking lot and got in the van with my parents.

We started out going the Interstate way home. It's not the shortest route, but it's not near as curvy and hilly as the back way. There's plenty of shoulder too. We made it through two red light on Chenal and then it was standstill traffic. Facebook was reporting a 30 car pile up on South Bowman. The direction we were headed. Dad turned on a side road to go another way only to find out that cars were piled up on the other side of that hill. After sitting in traffic for an hour we turned around and went the back way. There may be more hills and curves, but there wouldn't be tons of cars and idiot drivers.

I didn't get any pictures, but I pulled a couple from the news Facebook page.
It took us about an hour to get the five miles home going the back way. We a couple of hold ups. The first one was another car blocking the road and we had to wait for them to move her car. The other was us not able to get up the steep hill. There were already two cars pulled over on the side that weren't able to get up. We made it further up that they did, but it wasn't enough. After sitting on the side of the road for 30 minutes debating what to do, dad tried again. The tires spun until all you could smell was burnt rubber, but inch by inch we finally made it to the top! The rest of the way was smooth sailing. Kev was waiting for me at the end of the gravel drive. My parents headed on to a hotel a few miles away. They would have stayed with us, but mom is very allergic to my babies. It was an interesting night. I'm just glad there was a back way home and we didn't have to spend four or five hours on the Interstate like a lot of people did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th