Skip to main content

Family Heirlooms


Saturday we all met over at my grandmother's house to look through her things and decide what each of us wanted. There were a few things that I knew I wanted. Things that she would always tell me would one day be mine. These wooden purses were one of those things. Several years ago she gave me  one on the middle shelf with mushrooms on it. I went through and picked which others were favorites and added them to my collection. I now have nine of them. I displayed them in this cabinet Kev's great-great-grandmother owned. 
I also knew I wonted some of the dolls she used to decorate her Christmas Tree with. she had already given me a handmade vintage tree skirt. 
I found this china in the very back of a kitchen cabinet. We also found twos different sets of china in the attic. After looking at all of them I decided this one was my favorite. I pulled one out and asked my aunt if she minded if I took it. Huge tears filled her eyes. i was worried at first, but she said she had been looking all over for it and thought that mamas had gotten rid of it. That this set of china was mamaws first set of china to own. My Aunt had saved money from her first job to buy it for mamaw. I told her she could have it, but she insisted that I take it. That she had always wanted me to have it. 

(Side note: I'm the only girl in the family. So even my aunt has told me all of my life that certain family things would go to me one day)


There are a few other things that we will take once her house sales that we just need around the house (patio furniture, metal benches, artificial trees), these are the special things that I will cherish always and  pass down to our children.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football Merchandise

It's football season and Walmart has all their Razorback merchandise out. I was browsing the aisle the other day and saw these. I immediately thought whiskey! A great way to sneak liquor into the stadium. Of course the back says intended for water only. Yeah right! No one looks at this and says water.

And a Roof

They finished the roof up today! Back of the house. Front of the house. They use these to hold the plywood together.

Floating the Caddo River

We floated the Caddo River with some friends Saturday. The scenery was beautiful and the water was flowing nicely. It took us a little over four hours and we only flipped the canoe once.  We came to some quick rapids and very low trees. While trying to duck under the trees, so our heads didn't get knocked off, we both leaned too far and there we went. Luckily everything was in dry bags and tied down. Well, almost everything. Kev was trying to put his phone back into the dry box but didn't get to it fast enough. His phone got wet, but seems to work ok after sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. I didn't have my shoes strapped tight so they slid off. A friend in front of us managed to grab one shoe and one paddle. We carefully walked the canoe across the rapid and dumped the water out. I will admit I was pissed off about my shoe. I didn't talk to Kev for awhile. I know it wasn't his fault, but I wanted to be mad at someone. He promised he would replace th